Follow-up: Virus, Worm, Trojan Horse, Spyware, Adware, Phishing
Below you can read the summary of some definitions collected on the net.
Malwares classified according to the form of diffusion of the pirated programs.
- Virus: Malicious program spread and replicated by another program, such as biological viruses that reproduce using cells.
- Worm: (worm) malicious program that can reproduce without needing another program.
- Trojan: (Trojan horse) program that makes the user believe he is useful, pretending to be something different. When it's active, it spies the user.
An orthographic curiosity: you have to write "trojan", even if the name derives from the horse of the ancient city of Troy.
Troyan exists as a word, but it is a city in Bulgaria.
- Toolkit / Rootkit: the same term indicates both useful and malicious programs.
When they are malicious programs, they are libraries that replace or set up with others of the system to do damage.
Typically this malware installs a backdoor to enter the system and take data or even take control.
Malwares classified according to the purpose of use of the pirate program.
- spyware: spy program,
- adware: viruses to show unwanted advertisements with popups, etc.,
- keylogger: registration of user activity, especially to steal password and credit card numbers entered,
- ransomware: to encrypt and / or block parts of the system and then ask for a ransom to the user,
- miner viruses: exploit the system resources for crypto currency operations, causing a sharp decline in the performance of the infected system.
Sneaky system of scam to steal information from inexperienced users.
Used often to access banking information related to your current accounts.
If you receive an email with an urgent request to link to an address and to correct a problem with your bank account or to confirm your personal information, do not do it. Surely it is a phishing.
Phishing is always very well designed, the page that opens is exactly the same as that of your bank, that of an institutional body or even that of the police.
The only recognition element is the URL of the linked website, it is not the official one of the Institution that has been cloned, but slightly different.
You may also be interested in the following lessons: